179 - Christmas Special ft the whole team!
The whole team's here! We thought, what better way to finish the year than by getting together and recording one last podcast? In this episode, Jesse, Jarrod and Zanita discuss all about the December issue of Signs of the Times. We also reminisce on the year that's almost gone, and look forward to the year that is slowly but surely creeping up on us. We hope that you enjoy this last episode for 2022 and that you have a rejuvenating, fun and joyful break. See you in 2023!
178 - The World Cup Problem ft. Daniel Kuberek
The Qatar World Cup has been, and has continued to be one of the most divisive sporting events in recent memory. From political controversies to human rights violations, it has been difficult to know how to handle this event. Should we boycott it? Should we watch it anyway? How can we make conscientious ethical decisions about moral grey areas such as this? Join us as Daniel Kuberek talks about the game that he loves and the way it has caused such a stir around the world.
177 - Cardboard Therapy ft. Jesse Herford
What's the deal with all these board games everyone is talking about so much? Well, I've got good news for you! Jesse is here to answer every question you've ever asked about board gaming, as well as every question you've never asked! More importantly though, we'll also explore what board games have taught Jesse about himself and about life.
176 - A Better Money Mindset ft. Rosie Kendall
In the October issue of Signs of the Times magazine, our assistant editor Zanita wrote an article called "Your Net Worth is Not Your Self-Worth". In it, she talks about the effect money has on each of our lives and the ways in which we can combat its sometimes more insidious nature. To reflect on this theme some more, we chatted with Rosie Kendall. Rosie is the CEO of CAP Australia, a non-profit organisation that seeks to help people in financial distress get in charge of their lives. In this episode, Rosie shares with us tips and tricks for how to be a wiser steward of your resources, as well as how to help those who don't have as much.
175 - Greg's Miracle ft. Greg Fernance
Greg thought he was going to die. Accidents, constant trips to the hospital, drug and alcohol addiction — there's no way this man had long for this world. But that's when God decided to interrupt Greg's downward spiral and turn his life upside-down. This conversation was part of a live event we ran with Greg himself, which is why the audio is not as high-quality as you might expect from Signs Radio. We think the conversation itself makes up for it, though.
174 - How Dining could Change the World ft. Zanita Fletcher
This episode, we talk to Signs of the Time's newest team member Zanita about a crazy idea. The simple act of eating around a table once radically transformed how communities related to each other. The most startling thing is, it might be able to do the same again today.
173 - Bonita's Story ft. Bonita Fernance
It's not every day you meet someone whose life was literally saved by God. Listen to the amazing story of how Bonita's life was transformed from loneliness and drug addiction to joy and fulfilment.
172 - Every Tower Must Fall ft. Jarrod Stackelroth
This month, we talk to Jarrod Stackelroth about his article in June's Signs of the Times called "A Tower Dedicated to Pride". We discuss the Jeddah Tower that is supposedly meant to be the tallest tower in the world, reaching 1km in height. The only problem is, the tower's not complete and has been under construction since 2013. Will it ever be finished? What lessons can we learn from it? And what does this tower have to do with one built thousands of years ago called Babel?
171 - Who NOT to vote for ft. Braden Blyde
This month, we talk to Braden Blyde who wrote an article in our May issue called "How to Vote in an Election Season". In it, we talk about biblical principles of how to engage with politics, how to know which party best represents the concerns of a faith worldview, and who NOT to vote for.
170 - Tim Costello's Ethical Journey ft. Nathan Brown
Nathan Brown joins us to guide us through a fascinating conversation he had with Tim Costello. Tim is a former lawyer, pastor, and activist for faith and justice in Australian politics. He has played a key role in advocating for incredibly important issues at a federal level, and was the CEO of World Vision for many years. He currently serves as the director of Micah Australia.
What's next for Signs Radio
If you're a long-time listener of Signs Radio, you may have been wondering where we've been for all these months. In this quick update, Jesse, our new host, gives an update on what's been happening, and what's next for Signs Radio.
Episode 169 - Morally-challenged movie antiheroes ft. Ryan Stanton
If you watch Succession, Book of Boba Fett or Breaking bad - you'll be confronted by characters with questionable morals. Why do we enjoy these "antihero" stories more than others? And what decides the moral line that these characters often cross?
- Episode 168 - The perfect Christmas gift ft. Kymberley McMurray
- Episode 167 - Was 2021 just another 2020? ft. Jarrod Stackelroth
- Episode 166 - Are you burnt out? ft. Claire Marsh
- Episode 165 - Why introduce kids to faith? ft. Karen Collum
- Episode 164 - Does God exist: will we ever find a definitive answer? ft. Marcos Torres
- Episode 163 - Does religion cause war? ft. Vania Chew
- Episode 162 - Dune: Complex themes, profound message ft. Mark Hadley
- Episode 161 - The billionaire space race ft. Ryan Stanton
- Episode 160 - An angry doctor and his angelic visitor ft. Danijela Schubert
- Episode 159 - The one who inspired me to an Olympic medal ft. Nicola McDermott
- Episode 158 - I wasn't OK. This is my story ft. Ashley Stanton
- Episode 157 - What "The Tomorrow War" says about fatherhood ft. Mark Hadley
- Episode 156 - My beef with meat ft. Juliana Muniz
- Episode 155 - I used to be a clairvoyant ft Cathy Hookham
- Episode 154 - Are spiritual forces real? ft. Jarrod Stackelroth
- Episode 153 - "God-like" social media algorithms? ft. Ryan Stanton
- Episode 152 - The different types of justice ft. Ryan Stanton & Eddie Hypolite
- Episode 151 – Heal country ft. Brenton Turner
- Episode 150 - Clearing up naturopathy myths ft. Kendra Samuels
- Episode 149 - Football and identity ft. Todd Brodie
- Episode 148 - Does prayer work? ft. Nathan Brown
- Episode 147 - Furious franchise, fantasy masculinity ft. Mark Hadley
- Episode 146 - How to deal with toxic friendships ft. Ashley Stanton
- Episode 145 - How my Coeliac Disease changed everything ft. Kylie Banks
- Episode 144 - Reconciling with my mum ft. Maryellen Hacko
- Episode 143 - ANZAC Day's complicated past ft. Daniel Reynaud
- Episode 142 - The Deepfake dilemma ft. Nathan Tasker
- Episode 141 - What is the origin of life? ft. Dr John Ashton
- Episode 140 - The truth about pornography ft. Caitlin Jankiewicz
- Episode 139 - Where did the Universe come from? ft. Dr Sven Ostring
- Episode 138 - When to compete, when to cooperate? ft. Mark Delaney
- Episode 137 - The Ultimate Christmas gift ft. Nathan Brown
- Episode 136 - The University assignment that changed lives ft. Jessica Krause
- Episode 135 - Do you support slavery?
- Episode 134 - Follow the light
- Episode 133 - Mums need mums
- Episode 132 - Jeffrey Epstein's Justice?
- Episode 131 - What is church?
- Episode 130 - The truth about death
- Episode 129 - Who can predict the future?
- Episode 128 - The problem with guilt
- Episode 127 - Who's the true Messiah?
- Episode 126 - Racing on Empty
- Episode 125 - Is 2020 a crisis point?
- Episode 124 - Lessons from a firstborn baby
- Episode 123 - Ashley's Nothing New 2020 Challenge
- Episode 122 - I don't want Covid to end
- Episode 121 - Origin stories matter
- Episode 120 - Prepare to launch
- Episode 119 - Finding my hero
- Episode 118 - 7 Deadly Viruses
- Episode 117 - Vaping: the healthy alternative?
- Episode 116 - Vegan bodybuilder
- Episode 115 - The Papuan Problem
- Episode 114 - What is Armageddon?
- Episode 113 - Arrested for good
- Episode 112 - How to hear God's voice
- Episode 111 - From Pawn to King
- Episode 110 - Finding the right fit
- Episode 109 - Can we beat bullying?
- Episode 108 - How to grow hope
- Episode 107 - The fundamentals of family
- Episode 106 - The Elvis the world forgot
- Episode 105 - Did the Bible predict Covid-19?
- Episode 104 - Justice at the roots
- Episode 103 - Need help to beat debt?
- Episode 102 - Be Human. Connect.
- Episode 101 - The problem with plastic
- Episode 100 - Stopping Traffick
- Episode 99 - Those who survive
- Episode 98 - My first cruise
- Episode 97 - Hardwired for racism?
- Episode 96 - Remember to rest
- Episode 95 - Making sense of the Trinity
- Episode 94 - Learning to Love
- Episode 93 - I Survived Cancer
- Episode 92 - The Christmas Invasion
- Episode 91 - Wake Up Call
- Episode 90 - Disney goes dark
- Episode 89 - Can't sleep on concrete
- Episode 88 - How to make a healthy baby
- Episode 87 - Surviving Year 12
- Episode 86 - Lest We Forget
- Episode 85 - The Reluctant Leader
- Episode 84 - Who was Jesus?
- Episode 83 - The Ultimate Treasure Hunt
- Episode 82 - Comparison is the thief of joy
- Episode 81 - Be Fruitful
- Episode 80 - Workplace Romance
- Episode 79 - Stubborn Faith
- Episode 78 - Going vegan
- Episode 77 - The Illusion of Connection
- Episode 76 - Holy Spirit 101
- Episode 75 - Will you be my neighbour?
- Episode 74 - Making sense of suicide
- Episode 73 - We love to play the game of thrones
- Episode 72 - Men's Shed
- Episode 71 - The death of a child
- Episode 70 - Pestilence
- Episode 69 - Humble Faith
- Episode 68 - Making sense of mass shootings
- Episode 67 - The F-word
- Episode 66 - The What and How-to of Spirituality
- Episode 65 - All Juiced Up
- Episode 64 - Hope and the End of History
- Episode 63 - The New Pharisees
- Episode 62 - Fit to print
- Episode 61 - Battling Dr Google
- Episode 60 - Meeting Muslims
- Episode 59 - The accidental environmentalist
- Episode 58 - How to fight on Facebook . . . and win
- Episode 57 - Make sure some paths are dirt
- Episode 56 - Eating Together
- Episode 55 - Elope
- Episode 54 - Paradox
- Episode 53 - Australia and the Bible
- Episode 52 - Fatherhood after separation
- Episode 51 - Global Warming
- Episode 50 - Obsessive-compulsive
- Episode 49 - The grand, unified theory . . . of the chair
- Episode 48 - Divorce
- Episode 47 - Caribbean Mudcake
- Episode 46 - Mass surveillance
- Episode 45 - Adoption
- Episode 44 - Hallelujah!
- Episode 43 - Schools & Religion
- Episode 42 - Mentor
- Episode 41 - Mediator
- Episode 40 - Hypersonic
- Episode 39 - Anzacs Speak
- Episode 38 - Refugees
- Episode 37 - How to give your money away
- Episode 36 - Our slum, our home
- Episode 35 - The Sabbath Community
- Episode 34 - Brain Choke
- Episode 33 - Robot Reality
- Episode 32 - Medicinal Cannabis
- Episode 31 - Fathers Day
- Episode 30 - Practising Faith
- Episode 29 - Baptism
- Episode 28 - Fatherhood
- Episode 27 - Laughter
- Episode 26 - Public/Private
- Episode 25 - Meet Daniel Kuberek
- Episode 24 - Indigenous Christian
- Episode 23 - Eternity
- Episode 22 - Humblebrag
- Episode 21 - Beauty
- Episode 20 - Live More Happy
- Episode 19 - Blood In, Blood Out
- Episode 18 - Death
- Episode 17 - Who Made God?
- Episode 16 - Good Death
- Episode 15 - Bible Basics
- Episode 14 - Smoking
- Episode 13 - Escape the Grid
- Episode 12 - Beautiful Maths
- Episode 11 - Killing Time
- Episode 10 - Stress
- Episode 9 - Waldenses
- Episode 8 - Godless?
- Episode 7 - Passover
- Episode 6 - Rohingya
- Episode 5 - Messiah
- Episode 4 - Hitched
- Episode 3 - Hard Luck
- Episode 2 - Dolly Doctor
- Episode 1 - Bucket