Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
1 cup farro
4 cups water
1 bunch kale, washed and dried
½ cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1 pomegranate, seeded
6 Medjool dates, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons light olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ teaspoon honey
¼ teaspoon salt
- Place farro and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse.
2. Remove kale from stem and place in the food processor and process until fine.
3. Combine dressing ingredients and massage dressing into the kale with your fingers for a few minutes.
4. Add farro, walnuts, pomegranate and dates.
5. Gently toss through salad.
Farro is an ancient wholegrain and is an excellent source of fibre, protein, magnesium and iron.
Massaging kale with olive oil softens it and makes it easier to digest, as well as reducing the bitterness.
PER SERVE: Energy 786kJ; 188Cal; Protein 3.8g; Fat 11g; Saturated fat 1.2g; Carbohydrate 14.9g;
Sugars 7.4g; Fibre 3.2g; Sodium 75mg; Potassium 156mg; Calcium 18mg; Iron 0.5mg.